DR. ROBERT CAMERON
Dr. Robert Cameron developed the pleurectomy with decortication, a successful and innovative lung-saving surgery. He is a leading expert on the treatment of pleural mesothelioma.
About Dr. Robert Cameron
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
10780 Santa Monica Blvd Ste 100
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Dr. Cameron is one of the most experienced mesothelioma specialists in the world; he’s treated mesothelioma for over 20 years and is deeply committed to transforming it from a terminal disease to a non–fatal illness. To do so, he developed the pleurectomy with decortication (P/D), one of the most successful surgeries for patients diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma. With the P/D, Dr. Cameron achieved two goals: extending the life expectancy of pleural mesothelioma patients, and improving their quality of life.
Innovator of the Pleurectomy with Decortication (P/D)
Dr. Cameron is the developer of the pleurectomy with decortication (P/D), a lung-sparing surgery reflecting his personal approach to the treatment of pleural mesothelioma: cure the patient and minimize physical harm. He developed this therapy as an alternative to the extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP), which he feels does more long–term harm to patients, because it requires the removal of an entire lung.
The P/D consists of two procedures: a pleurectomy and a decortication.
To perform a pleurectomy, a surgeon removes any portion of the lung’s outer lining affected by tumor growth.
Surgeons use this part of the procedure to remove any tumors that have spread to the protective lining of the lung or to the surface of the lung itself.
Helping Veterans Diagnosed with Mesothelioma
Dr. Cameron is also committed to helping veterans who’ve been diagnosed with service–connected mesothelioma. He manages the mesothelioma center at the VA Medical Center in Los Angeles, one of the few VA treatment centers focusing on treating the rare disease.
It’s a relentless disease…but we’re relentless in treating it. We can not only extend Veterans’ lives significantly, we can help sustain a really good quality of life. – Dr. Robert Cameron
MD, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine, 1984
UCLA School of Medicine, 1985 – 1986 and 1989 – 1992
- Founder and director of the Comprehensive Mesothelioma Program at the UCLA Medical Center. The Comprehensive Mesothelioma Program focuses on a patient’s survival and quality of life. Dr. Cameron’s P/D procedure is considered the main surgical mesothelioma treatment option. -Co-founder and former director of the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation, the first organization dedicated to funding mesothelioma research.
- Scientific Advisor for the Pacific Meso Center, a non-profit mesothelioma research center.
- Author or co-author of over 35 research papers and 38 book chapters on surgery, oncology and various medical topics.
- Minimally-invasive surgery
- Chest surgery sparing the lung, pericardium (lining of the heart) and diaphragm
- Robotic surgery
- Innovative radiation therapy techniques, like stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) and intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
Connecting to the Right Doctor
Mesothelioma is a rare disease that requires specialized treatment, so finding the right doctor is important. If you’ve been diagnosed with mesothelioma, or have a history of asbestos exposure, see a doctor who has experience treating mesothelioma right away. Speak to a member of our Patient Help Team to find an experienced doctor who can help improve your prognosis. We’ll review your diagnosis and connect you to the treatment you need to extend your life expectancy—for free.